Technology slowly seems to be taking over many aspects of human society. Education is now evolving to incorporate technology to break free from the boundaries of four walls.
As we go through 21st century, technology in the classroom is becoming more and more predominant. Tablets are replacing textbooks, smartboards are replacing blackboards and we have information at the palm of our hands now.
Students prefer technology since it makes learning more enjoyable. Laptops and tablets are more likable and interesting than textbooks. Subjects that students find boring can become more interesting with virtual lessons, through a video on a tablet.
It helps them prepare for the digital future. These skills are essential in order to be successful today. Jobs that may not have had a digital component in the past, do have one now. Education in today’s age isn’t just about memorizing textbooks, it’s about solving complex problems and collaborate with others in doing so and technology teaches them how to.
Technology helps them retain information better due to the interest it engages in each subject. It enables students to learn at their own pace and get individualized instruction. Teachers too can get to give individual attention by saving time and energy.
View this post on Instagram
Didn't really need the #hyperlapse for this clip but didn't realize Andy was going to build it in no time at all! Great fun and just in time for Eva and Andy's #hourofcode event in school! YAY!! ✌ @teamkano #computerkittouch ◇◇ #technology #tech #technologyforkids #kidsinstem #kidscancode @hourofcode #kidstech #techkids #kidstechnology #coding @mitscratchteam #scratch #scratch2 #scratch3 #ScratchMIT #STEMEducationforkids #stem #stemed #stemtoy #stemtoys #toy #toys #programming @andystechgarage #andystechgarage #stemandy #stematg #handsonlearning #newtoy #newtoys
There are many ways of integrating technology in classrooms by teachers;
- Using technology to teach geography: Virtual reality can make you discuss a site by being present at the site virtually. You can visit foreign landmarks by being in classrooms.
- Field trips: Can visit or pre-visit a particular upcoming field trip.
- Video lessons: This can help with better understanding of a subject through various videos related to the subject.
- Smartboard learning: Learning various subjects like math, arts and even history through smartboard interactive technology makes the subject even more interesting.
- Homework as presentations: Children tend to learn more and retain information better when they research and put things together on their own and can present it more confidently.
- Online class calendar: It can be changed and adapted as per required and can be interactive and suggestive.
- Online adaptive programs: Sending adaptive programs to download, rework, conduct virtual discussions and report through various smartphone or tablet friendly apps.