Head of Inclusion at Aldar Education Kate McMillan pinpoints how inclusion makes for better learning experiences and growth.
Inclusion in educational settings is an all-encompassing practice of ensuring that students of differing strengths and abilities are engaged, experience a state of positive wellbeing, feel connected to their school community and access personalised learning experiences that promote success.
Diversity enriches every student’s learning experience, and at Aldar Education, we embrace our social responsibility and celebrate our inclusivity. We recognise the positive contribution our Students of Determination and their families make to our school communities, and harness these to continue to enhance our inclusive classrooms.
Our commitment to student wellbeing, connectedness, inclusion and personalised learning benefits every student, and helps us ensure an equitable educational experience and academic, social and emotional success. This is important for all students, irrespective of any diagnosis or identified educational need, for within a young person’s academic life it is likely at some time they will require social, emotional, academic, behavioural or physical support. An inclusive school benefits your child by enabling them to learn alongside a diverse group of students, offering experiences and forming friendships that will change the way they engage in their community and future careers.
Within Aldar Education schools, we work closely with families to address areas of difficulty as early and quickly as possible to promote successful transitions and academic achievement. We carefully evaluate applications from Students of Determination, as not all needs can be adequately met within a mainstream setting. Some children require highly personalised and intensive specialist programmes that prepare them with skills for life and learning. We work closely with families and specialists to ensure that the placement of every student has their best educational, social and emotional interests at heart.
We offer a nurturing and personalised approach to education which is flexible and innovative, which meets the diverse needs of individuals, values the contributions of all and enables every member of the school community to reach their full potential.
7 ways Aldar Education classrooms are inclusive
- We value the contribution Students of Determination make to our school community and celebrate their resilience in overcoming difficulties they face.
- Our school Heads of Inclusion work in partnership with families, teachers and external specialists, developing multidisciplinary teams that take a holistic approach to develop learning, behavioural or mental health support plans.
- School principals are committed to inclusivity and celebrate diversity – families feel welcome and safe.
- School leadership teams have high aspirations of every student and are highly effective in personalising learning experiences that promote success.
- Teachers provide high-quality learning opportunities in a safe, creative and stimulating environment where all children access a broad and balanced curriculum in a manner which raises self-esteem and encourages success.
- Families are active participants in their child’s learning and work collaboratively with the school to overcome any difficulties which arise.
- Our school cultures are inclusive of all members of our community and demonstrate these values in both attitude and action.
For more information about Aldar Education, visit: www.aldaracademies.com