We have heard the benefits of healthy foods on our body, but did you how it affects our mind?
Instilling a healthy food habit in your child will ensure they grow into healthy adults as healthy habits tend to stay and grow on individuals. Modelling such behaviours also ensures they are constantly encouraged as children love mirroring how parents behave.
Essentially they require the following few nutrients to get them growing stronger physically and mentally;
Low iron intake commonly causes weight gain in most children. Iron helps red blood cells carry oxygen to cells throughout the body and plays a role in brain development and a chronic deficit can cause learning and behaviour problems.
A few foods that can provide best source for Iron that your children will love;
- Shrimps – as a curry or salad
- Chicken – however they like
- Lentils – parathas, soups etc.
- Chickpeas – roasted or boiled with spices
- Soya Nuts
- Fortified cereals – Breakfast or evening snacks
- Tomatoes – part of every food
Vitamins have numerous benefits, it protects our eyes, bones, immune system, promotes healthy growth, increase energy, aid neurological functions and reproduction.
A few foods that can provide best source for Vitamins that your children will love;
- Spinach or Kale – Smoothies
- Sweet potatoes – Fries
- Carrots – Juices
- Apricots – snack
- Nuts – Snack
- Peanut Butter – Sandwich
Fibre strengthens the digestive system of an individual over a period of time. Most fibre rich carbohydrates are known as food for the brain as well. Eating a fiber-rich diet may help protect children from a variety of chronic diseases later in life.
A few foods that can provide best source for Fibre that your children will love;
- Fruits like berries, oranges and apples – Snack or smoothies
- High fibre cereal – breakfast or side dish at meals
- Ground flaxseeds – part of salads or smoothies
- Popcorn – snack
Potassium supports muscle contraction, blood pressure and fluid balance. It also helps enhance muscle strength, metabolism, water balance, electrolytic functions, and the nervous system.
A few foods that can provide best source for Potassium that your children will love;
- Oranges – Juice or snack
- Bananas – Fried or snack
- Yogurt – smoothies
- White and sweet potatoes – baked or fries
- Milk – hot chocolate or health mix